Monday, July 11, 2011

Sing - Poetry Schmoetry


Poetry Schmoetry Blogfest


I love Blogfests! It is from Writing with Shelly and it's not too late to sign up. Here are the details for what you have to do.


2. Sign up by filling out the Linky here
3. Write a Poem
(ANY kind of poem or you could even blog about 'why I hate poetry.' I'm cool with that.)
4. Post your poem the week of July 11th-14th (midnight PST)
(You can even post a poem for every day that week if you feel like it)


This poem is from a few years ago (I hope that's not breaking the rules). I started it shortly after being married and then went back and finished it after having children. The mood of it changed a lot over that time.



Sing


Where is the music?
Where is the dream;
The passion, or surge
Of electricity?
Like there used to be.

Did I lose some vital organ
That was keeping me alive?
Or been overrun by laziness,
Stubbornness, and pride.

Where is the music
That once was in my head?
Another world and person-
A mind that could be fed
On fantasy. The menagerie
of hope, anticipation.

My guitar is old and out of tune,
My voice is strained and dry.
When asked to sing the melody
I tremble with the shy.

Where is the music;
The breath,
the life?

We enter this together;
A new world, a new person-
And I sing my lullaby.

















What do you think? I'm always open to critiques (and praise of course). I'd love to see your poetry too if you want to share or give a link. (or join the blogfest!)

8 comments:

  1. I like it. Let me read it again. Yep. Still like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. I've felt that same way--forgetting a little of who you are. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I love the pic at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I tremble with the shy."
    This line has great voice and unique ideas. Thank you for sharing. My poem will be up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Sweet poem and cute piccy! ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. The funny thing is that I had already scheduled this poem to post for the same day, even before I found out about the poetry blogfest. Thanks for giving me an excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the flow of this, and the rhyming feels natural. I think it's hard to do rhyme sometimes without it sounding silly, but you did a great job! Thank you for sharing!

    I'm still trying to drudge up a poem for tomorrow. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Out of your three poems, I love this one the most, but all are really good.

    ReplyDelete