Friday, June 21, 2013

Celebrate WordSprints


Today I feel like doing a post. After so long, just writing this post is something to celebrate. Even better than that?

I started writing again. Yay!

A few months before having baby K I stopped reading or writing. Somehow anything other than watching TV was too much work. But this week I managed to write 4 days in a row. For me that's a record!
I'm still forgetting about things (like grammar), but I'm happy to get down all the words. I'm forcing myself to just write and stop thinking so much.

A part of what's been helping me are wordsprints. I can do all my writing for the day in only two half hour sprints (babe only sleeps that long anyways) AND I get to share that small achievement with others doing the same thing, if it's on twitter that day. Win, Win.

So thank you internet/twitter for making me get moving and just WRITE!


12 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting writing again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just do it is the best advice on earth. We can't always have the luxury of long uninterrupted periods, so what you've written is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, that's great news. Don't worry about the grammar. That's what editing is for. Get the story down, then you can tidy it up once you've written everything you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great that you're finding time for writing again. And don't worry about the grammar. That's the easiest part to fix. I love the idea of writing spirts. I might give that a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wordsprints - sounds like the perfect plan. Congrats on getting some writing down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Word sprints are amazing! The best thing I ever learned to do was to just write and NOT edit as I went a long. Took me a long time to really do that. What a difference. So glad you are writing again. You can keep up with upcoming agented contests on my blog if you're interested (under Contest Circuit). Twitter is so wonderful for writers. It really brings you together with other writers so you have someone to celebrate with, get you motivated etc. Have a great weekend!

    Meredith
    Meredith’s Musings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! It's just the best feeling getting back to writing when you've had enforced time off, isn't it! I think writing sprints are great, they really apply the mind for maximum productivity. Best of luck going forward and how lovely having a new baby in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great news!! Sprints are great. One of the best workshops i ever took was book in a month by Candace Havens. It was sprints and she insisted you NOT edit....anything...at all on that first draft. I get caught up a lot in editing as I write. It was a real eye opener. Happy Friday!

    Meredith
    Meredith’s Musings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't know there were wordsprints on twitter. I've done them on google+, but haven't in a while. Happy for you for getting back to writing. It is a joy, isn't it. I've recently returned to my WIP, so I know how it feels. Congrats on the new baby! Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks guys for the encouragement. I'm finding that I have to make myself write something every day. Or it gets harder the next time I try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wordsprints are the way to go!!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete