Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I Am Spiderman ... or Rapunzel

I don't always join in on Road Trip Wednesdays but today's question was an easy one for me.
What are your writing and publishing superpowers (drafting? beta-reading? writing queries? plotting? character creation? etc.) -- and what's your kryptonite?
I wouldn't call these my superpowers but the two elements of writing that I love doing the most are:
Character Creation and Beta-Reading.

I spend a lot of time researching characters, obsessing about quirks, imagining them as I drive. I thrive on this, thinking about what could be.

Getting it down on paper is a different story. That leads me to what I consider kryptonite.

It's all fine and good planning what will generally happen through the book but when I try to write out each scene I get stuck on things like Dialogue and Where the heck am I supposed to go next? The perfectionist in me is very annoying.

It's so much easier to imagine a scene for a friend. That's why I love Beta-Reading, even more than writing (gasp!). Well, in phases. Truthfully, all the books I've read since ... July? Have been un-published and in revisions. I just love being a part of the process and being under the delusion that I'm helping improve a work of art (ego much?).

I learn so much from seeing how writer's change and evolve their work. It reminds me that I can get my own book done if only I would put words down on the page. After all, I love to revise, it's not the end of the world if I have to redo most of it in the end.

What are your Superpowers?  How do you deal dith weaknesses?

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I bet you are a superhero to a lot of people! I'd say, get writing! But actually, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this problem when I edit my own stuff. I always line edit first when I should be doing story arcs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture. My superpower would be dialogue. I enjoy "hearing" what my characters have to say. My kryptonite...imagery. As much as I love dialogue is as much as I hate crafting scenery and vivid surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love creating characters and thier distinct voice. I also love beta reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. characterization is definitely a strong point.

    my weakness is DESCRIP of setting. SO hard for me to integrate it the way it should be

    ReplyDelete